2020-01-22 conda-forge core meeting


Attendees

Agenda

Your agenda items

  • Recurring Anaconda update on what’s going on on our side.

  • (jakirkham) What’s the plan for conda / conda-build moving forward?

    • who’s taking over maintenance of these projects going forward?

    • Opportunity to onboard someone new from not Anaconda?

      • Is Anaconda open to opening up permissions on conda-build to others?

        • Michael S once he leaves?

        • Marcel Bargull?

        • Marcelo Trevisani?

  • Anacondacon

    • (CJ) breakout session submitted to AnacondaCON

      • deep dive into the automation systems used by conda-forge

    • conda-forge / Anaconda / bioconda / RAPIDS / wolfv (Quantstack & RooS & mamba) summit at Anacondacon?

      • (Eric) check internally for funding levels for hotels & flying folks from the community in?

      • (Eric) Figure out finances of conda-forge to support themselves?

  • (FF) Drop python 2.7

    • (Eric) Open up a CFEP about what to do about Python 2.7.

    • We probably need a statement that says when and why we’re dropping py27

    • Anaconda has stopped building py27 packages

    • After the next Anaconda distro release (Feb/March)

    • Anaconda will build the CPython interpreter for py27 when it comes out in March

    • Coordinate timing between Anaconda and conda-forge on python 2.7.

    • Should we make there be a way to “opt-in” to continue building python 2.7 packages?

    • Idea:

      • Remove python 2.7 from the conda-forge pinnings.

      • Migration to update the feedstocks so they drop python 2.7

      • Have a bot command to let people opt-out

  • (Eric) What Pythons are we going to support? 3.6-3.8?

    • (jjhelmus) Open up a CFEP for this.

    • We have a weak policy (more of a tradition, really) on supporting three python versions – this was 2.7 plus the most recent 3.x versions.

    • The conda-forge policy was mirroring Anaconda’s policy.

    • Should we mirror the CPython policy?

      • Disadvantage is that we will have up to 5 versions in 2021.

  • (Eric) Push scheduling to one week out and then every other week.

Push everything below this to next week

  • (FF) The blog is “ready” but we need a Jekyll expert to take a look at it. The layout and page publication is not OK.

    • https://conda-forge.org/blog/

Subteam updates

Bot

  • (CJ) Automerge progress, PRs ready for review, available for beta testing

    • example https://github.com/conda-forge/face-feedstock/pull/2

  • (CJ) PR open to fix issues with strong exports (CUDA) and outputs (GDAL)

ARM

POWER

CUDA

  • Question: are we ready to advertise this? If so should we Tweet and do a NumFOCUS update about it?

Docs

staged-recipes

website

CI infrastructure

Compiler upgrade

CFEP updates

  • (Eric) (finally) renamed conda-forge-enhancement-proposals to cfep

Open PRs

  • cfep-03 Manual upload of builds

  • cfep-04 X11 and CDT policy

  • cfep-05 dev/rc builds

    • Voting finished today. The vote has passed

  • cfep-06 Staged-recipes review lifecycle

  • cfep-10 Feedstock statuses, unmaintained

  • cfep-11 Automated Closing of Excessively Old PRs on Staged Recipes

    • Voting finished a while ago, and this has the votes to pass

Discussion

Check in on previous action items

Copy previous action items from last meeting agenda.

This meeting TODOs

  • Open up a CFEP about what to do about Python 2.7.

    • cfep issue #20

    • [ ] Someone volunteer to drive this CFEP to completion

  • (Eric) check internally for funding levels for hotels & flying folks from the community in?

  • (Eric) Figure out finances of conda-forge to support themselves?

  • (jjhelmus) Open up CFEP for which python’s we’re going to support.

  • (Eric) Change meeting cadence

Last meeting

  • [ ] cfep-11 next steps: Merge PR and ping staged-recipes team they can implement if they want?

  • [ ] cfep-10 next steps: CJ to call a vote for feedback

  • [ ] cfep-06 next steps: Ask staged recipes team to champion this CFEP and move it forward

  • [ ] cfep-04 next steps: jjhelmus to add a comment per notes above

  • [ ] jakirkham & CJ-wright to sync on adding CUDA to the migration bot

2 meetings ago

3 meetings ago

4 meetings ago

  • [ ] (Filipe) CFEP-03: Review, fix any text and merge it in.

    • Minor updates that are needed. This will likely get done in December.

  • [ ] (CJ) CFEP-08: Merge in with deferred status

    • Will check in next meeting.

Move to Issue Tracker

  • [ ] (Eric) Scheduling Anaconda <-> conda-forge sync on anaconda.org requirements gathering

    • Will try and get this scheduled in the next month.

  • [ ] (Anthony) Reach out to NumFocus to figure out legal ramifications of not including licenses in files.