2020-04-01 conda-forge core meeting


  • MS, ED, LB, CJ, AS, MB, Matt B, FF, JH, Uwe


Your agenda items

  • [Matt B]

    • Should we have an official policy around updates/support for our compiler stack?

      • they are not interested in paid support.

      • If there is a switch they are going to get a loud alert? (YES!)

        • The main problem that the LSST called out was the gcc 5 break.

      • answer: no policy because we don’t have the bandwidth - it is done adhoc, expect gcc9 in the next 2-3 years

    • Also do we have a name for our compiler stack? (gcc7?)

    • For context, I got a query from a big scientific project (the data management team for the Vera Rubin Observatory). They are moving their entire software stack to use conda-forge + it’s compilers (based on work I did for them showing them how to do it! yay!). They are wondering about how the compilers might change in the next 2-3 years and what label they might apply to their internal systems to track the compiler stack version as a whole. Note they only use linux and osx AFAIK.

  • We should publish the way that we decide what pinnings to use and when things change.

  • Update to gcc 9? jjhelmus wants it done soon, but definitely sometime in the next 2 years

    • gfortran compat break between 7 and 8. 9 is compatible with 8. Details at https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/LibgfortranAbiCleanup

Active votes

Subteam updates


  • [CJ] Bot auto issues migrator PRs into pinnings

    • What cadence do we want for these? Do maintainers decide? Where would this live?

  • [CJ] Should we wait for a version beyond R 4.0.0 for migration (mostly a question for the bioconda folks)?

  • What are we updating when?

  • root break micro but we push everything

  • hdf5 breaks everything so we do that once a year

  • libnetcdf is pinned to micro version

  • boost pin to micro do every other

  • tiledb (3 breaks in 18 days, over pinned so should be at ‘x.x’ instead of ‘x.x.x’)

  • protobuf breaks at micro (~once a year)

  • proposed solution:

  • bot team put the rules of thumb above into some form in pinnings

  • will be documented

  • core will defer to maintainers

  • we’ll see how this goes…








  • CFEP was merged

  • if you want to join us (AS, CJ, Matt B.), please let me know!

  • currently merging a weekly meeting of this sub-team with the bot sub-team

  • no formal plans yet

  • CFEP-13 implementation is ongoing - blocked on appveyor+vs2017 deprecation right now

CI infrastructure

Compiler upgrade

CFEP updates

  • cfep-14 security and systems subteam

    • Accepted

  • cfep-15 Deprecate Python 2.7 and vs2008

    • Accepted

Open PRs

  • cfep-04 X11 and CDT policy

    • INACTIVE - Merge in with some inactive-esque status?

    • Needs new champion. Thanks for your work on this pkgw! Has unaddressed comments from pkgw as from Jan 10, 2020

  • cfep-06 Staged-recipes review lifecycle

    • INACTIVE - Merge in with some inactive-esque status?

    • Lingering comment from @saraedum. @jakirkham, can you reply? Has unadressed comment from @saraedum from Jan 8, 2020

  • cfep-10 Feedstock statuses, unmaintained

    • INACTIVE - Merge in with some inactive-esque status?

    • Needs another review. Has unaddressed updates from pkgw as of Jan 11, 2020

  • cfep-12 Removing packages that violate the terms of the source package

    • Active debate about moving to “broken” vs deleting from conda-forge channel

    • Active vote, ends on 2020-03-11


Check in on previous action items

Copy previous action items from last meeting agenda.

Last meeting

  • [x] (Matt Becker) Update the docs with our current thinking / principles.

2 meetings ago

3 meetings ago

  • Remove conda forge readthedocs.

  • [ ] (jakirkham) write a blog post on CUDA stuff we discussed today

  • [ ] (jakirkham) update docs on how to add CUDA support to feedstocks

  • [ ] (jakirkham) will open an issue on conda-smithy to investigate Drone issues. (ping the aarch team)

    • https://github.com/conda-forge/conda-forge.github.io/issues/954

Move to Issue Tracker

  • [ ] cfep-10 next steps: CJ to call a vote for feedback

  • [ ] cfep-06 next steps: Ask staged recipes team to champion this CFEP and move it forward

  • [ ] jakirkham & CJ-wright to sync on adding CUDA to the migration bot

  • [ ] (Eric) Scheduling Anaconda <-> conda-forge sync on anaconda.org requirements gathering

    • Will try and get this scheduled in the next month.

  • [ ] (Anthony) Reach out to NumFocus to figure out legal ramifications of not including licenses in files.

  • [ ] (Eric) check internally for funding levels for hotels & flying folks from the community in?

  • [ ] (Eric) Figure out finances of conda-forge to support themselves?

  • [ ] (jjhelmus) Open up CFEP for which python’s we’re going to support.