2020-07-29 conda-forge core meeting

Zoom link What time is the meeting in my time zone


  • CJ Wright

  • Isuru Fernando

  • Filipe Fernandes

  • Michael Sarahan

  • Ray Douglass

  • Josh Adelman

  • Wolf Vollprecht

  • Jonathan Helmus

  • Marcelo Trevisani

  • Cheng Lee

  • Keith Kraus

  • Marcel Bargull

  • Anthony Scopatz

  • Eric Dill

  • Uwe Korn

  • Marius van Niekerk


  • [x] (IF) gcc upgrade - 9.3 or 10.2 ?

    • Overall postive response, need to figure out syntax, use gcc 9

    • Action Item: Open PR into pinnings with migraiton

  • [z] (IF) cross compiling

    • https://github.com/conda-forge/conda-forge-pinning-feedstock/pull/703

    • Split libgcc CRT files and libstdc++ header files?

Standing items

  • [x] (CJ) budget, also finance subteam creation

  • [x] intros for new folks on the call

Your new agenda items

Stuff from last week that we didn’t get to

  • [x] (ED) Welcome packets for new members and contributors?

    • new contributors to staged-recipes

      • stickers mailed to an address of their choosing?

    • Staged-recipes

      • new contributors plus a mug

    • Subteams?

      • As above plus any subteam specific stuff (e.g., maybe we need a bot sticker)

    • Core

      • staged-recipes plus a tshirt

    • Concerns:

      • cost

      • who would mail stuff

      • privacy around people giving us a mailing address

      • https://shop.spreadshirt.com/numfocus/

      • https://shop.spreadshirt.com/numfocus/conda-forge+official+logo?idea=5bce3b332051763003022d31

    • How to implement:

      • original conda-forge mugs were a hit.

  • [x] (KK) Remove deprecation/warning of pre-link scripts in conda-build

    • Warning currently swallows messages from our (NVIDIA) testing

    • Used in conda forge packages currently according to jakirkham

    • Would be good to allow packages with proprietary licenses to display some message before package is actually installed

      • NVIDIA legal would prefer this for CUDA related packages, and want to pave the way for shipping compiler, headers, and other EULA protected bits

    • Pre-link issue: https://github.com/conda/conda/issues/7452

    • Maybe add messaging functionality to conda (https://github.com/conda/conda/issues/10118)

    • FF: I’ll write a Small Grant Proposal for NumFOCUS to see if we can get fresh blood on this

      • https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kdeXLbsxQ95qGVeYpGoqEIwcNYx82L-okgXY_8tBAug/edit

  • https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dEXQsrXM5kBW6ARLpsVGRQltVxQVbVkjmXbBh8LnHac/edit#heading=h.cs380pc1x0vk

Active votes

Subteam updates









  • [ ] still need to finish CFEP-13 (can move ahead now that latest smithy is out)

CI infrastructure

Compiler upgrade

CFEP updates

Open PRs

  • cfep-04 X11 and CDT policy

    • INACTIVE - Merge in with some inactive-esque status?

    • Needs new champion. Thanks for your work on this pkgw! Has unaddressed comments from pkgw as from Jan 10, 2020

  • cfep-06 Staged-recipes review lifecycle

    • INACTIVE - Merge in with some inactive-esque status?

    • Lingering comment from @saraedum. @jakirkham, can you reply? Has unadressed comment from @saraedum from Jan 8, 2020

    • (MRB) The stalebot has solved the worst of the issues here. I think we could defer this one permanently.

  • cfep-10 Feedstock statuses, unmaintained

    • INACTIVE - Merge in with some inactive-esque status?

    • Needs another review. Has unaddressed updates from pkgw as of Jan 11, 2020

  • cfep-12 Removing packages that violate the terms of the source package

    • Stalled since May 26, 2020

    • Active debate about moving to “broken” vs deleting from conda-forge channel

    • Active vote, ends on 2020-03-11

    • What were the results of the vote?

    • Did we hear back from NumFOCUS?

  • cfep-17 Handling pin backports and dependency rebuilds

    • Stalled debate about implementation details between Isuru, CJ and Matt

    • UPDATE 2020-07-22: We in principle have agreement to render the extra pinnings needed directly in the feedstock on a temporary basis (i.e., until the migration has ended).


Check in on previous action items

Copy previous action items from last meeting agenda.

This meeting

Last meeting

  • [ ] Figure out how to communicate breaking changes to users. Likely should open up an issue immediately for futher discussion. Ping @kkraus, plus capture notes from further up in these meeting notes

  • [ ] (Eric) TODO: Make strict an option in conda_forge.yaml and turn it on by default. Open issue in conda-smithy

2 meetings ago

  • [ ] Eric to add a new page to our docs around how to engage with conda-forge and affiliated in a commercial relationship.

  • [ ] Eric will get the NVBug link from Keith and archive it in the conda-forge google drive.

  • [ ] John K. will update the cuda toolkit feedstock on the git repo to note the NVBug link to the internal NVIDIA issue tracker

  • [ ] Jonathan will update docs to note that some non-exhaustive list of packages (like cuda-toolkit, MKL, etc.)

  • [ ] Jonathan will review this PR

3 meetings ago

Move to Issue Tracker

  • [ ] (Kale) schedule conda working group

  • [ ] cfep-10 next steps: CJ to call a vote for feedback

  • [ ] cfep-06 next steps: Ask staged recipes team to champion this CFEP and move it forward

  • [ ] jakirkham & CJ-wright to sync on adding CUDA to the migration bot

  • [ ] (Eric) Scheduling Anaconda <-> conda-forge sync on anaconda.org requirements gathering

    • Will try and get this scheduled in the next month.

  • [ ] (Anthony) Reach out to NumFocus to figure out legal ramifications of not including licenses in files.

  • [ ] (Eric) check internally for funding levels for hotels & flying folks from the community in?

  • [ ] (Eric) Figure out finances of conda-forge to support themselves?

  • [ ] (jjhelmus) Open up CFEP for which python’s we’re going to support

  • [ ] (jakirkham) write a blog post on CUDA stuff we discussed today

  • [ ] (jakirkham) update docs on how to add CUDA support to feedstocks

  • [ ] (jakirkham) will open an issue on conda-smithy to investigate Drone issues. (ping the aarch team)

    • https://github.com/conda-forge/conda-forge.github.io/issues/954

  • [ ] (ED) Who we are page? Some combination of a FAQ and a who is everyone. FAQ things like:

    • who’s the POC for CF <> Anaconda, CF <> NumFocus, CF <> Azure

    • who’s the POC for the various subteams?

    • Informal information: roles, day jobs, bios, the whole nine yards, why you’re here, etc.

    • Public or internal? I don’t really care either way. Anyone feel strongly one way or the other?

    • opt-in to public bios

    • software carpentry has a large number of instructors and has https://carpentries.org/instructors

    • some concern about “yet another place to keep stuff up to date”

  • [ ] (CJ) Form finance subteam

  • [ ] (ED) document strategies for reproducible environments using conda-forge

  • [ ] (UK) Static libraries stuff

    • [ ] Add linting hints to builds to find them

    • [x] Recommend how to package them -> CFEP-18

    • [x] We should write docs saying we don’t provide support and this is a bad idea. -> CFEP-18