Skip to main content


2021-01-27 conda-forge core meeting

Zoom link What time is the meeting in my time zone last weeks meeting


  • Isuru
  • Matthew
  • CJ
  • Cheng
  • Andreas Guzman
  • Chris Burr
  • Connor Martin
  • Crystal Soja
  • Fabio Pliger
  • Filipe
  • John
  • Keith
  • Markus
  • Matti Picus
  • Nikolay Petrov
  • Stephanie Guo
  • Wolf
  • Eric Dill


Standing items

  • intros for new folks on the call

    • intel folks
  • (CJ) budget

    • current approvals?
    • Whenever updated numbers land, please screenshare and show the budget.
      • Link is in Keybase (numfocus_spreadsheets.txt)
    • (CJ) We're all up to date and 2021 P&L not posted yet
  • open votes

From previous meeting(s)

  • (WV) Quick Update on the current state of Quetz /

  • (ED) Any progress on CFEPs? I think we talked about this a few weeks ago but i dont remember the outcome (punted)

Your new() agenda items

  • ICC compiler wrappers w/ intel folks

    • NP on intel repack:
      • would like to ship more things
      • lots of internal discussion
      • plan to bring more libraries to conda
        • dpcpp
        • dnn stuff
        • compilers
      • how are we going to handle packages and validation?
        • history of repack of intel stuff and why not clone/copy
        • IF:
          • we want to change metadata and change some default settings (swap intel openmp and llvm openmp)
          • use different blas exports in MKL
    • Andres w/ compilers
      • we can start fresh on recipes
      • have internal ones that were working based on ctng
      • intel has "setvar" scripts
      • question is this layout ok?
        • icc is binary repackage
        • activation calls
      • IF: just icc or DPCPP?
        • answer: right now ICC first and then DPCPP
      • IF:
        • need stuff in ctng packages
        • is there a deactivation for
      • AG:
        • what needs to happen wrt to conda?
      • IF:
        • need env to be the same after we deactivate
      • MRB: can we reuse ctng for icc?
        • IF: we are not doing this - you are WRONG matt!
      • IF: need icc to use our sysroot
      • AG: what about fortran?
        • MRB: do C/C++ for now and then fortran later
      • IF: we'll have two packages
        • icc_impl_{{ target_platform}} : repack binary packages
        • icc_{{ target_platform}}: activation scripts
  • (FF) GSoC 2021 plans

    • Filipe won't be able to manage this one this year. If anyone is willing, take over from Filipe.
  • (FF) Outreachy updates

  • (FF) Meetings times, should we send a new doodle to try to include more people?

    • go back to fortnightly
    • send a poll to move to alternate time slot with conda community meeting
  • (FF) Should pypy migrations be on automerge?

    • we were careful with R
    • merging PRs is a burden to people
    • FF thinks it will be fine
    • IF automerge will give access to a lot of our feedstocks
  • (MP) How is the PyPy 3.7 migration going?

    • 3.6: done (1328) in-pr (412) not-solvable (0) awaiting-parents (423) bot-error (5)
    • 3.7: done (738) in-pr (565) not-solvable (112) awaiting-parents (739) bot-error (14)
    • 41 (37%) of the not-solvable are Python 2.7 only
  • (KK) Limiting the number of CUDA versions in our build matrix by default

    • yes pls

Pushed to next meeting

Active votes

Subteam updates









CI infrastructure

Compiler upgrade

CFEP updates

Open PRs

  • cfep-04 X11 and CDT policy

    • INACTIVE - Merge in with some inactive-esque status?
    • Needs new champion. Thanks for your work on this pkgw! Has unaddressed comments from pkgw as from Jan 10, 2020 Solved: Let's defer and keep the "mixed model" we have now.
  • cfep-06 Staged-recipes review lifecycle

    • INACTIVE - Merge in with some inactive-esque status?
    • Lingering comment from @saraedum. @jakirkham, can you reply? Has unadressed comment from @saraedum from Jan 8, 2020
    • (MRB) The stalebot has solved the worst of the issues here. I think we could defer this one permanently. Solved: defer in favor of the stale bot for now.
  • cfep-15 Feedstock statuses, unmaintained

    • INACTIVE - Merge in with some inactive-esque status?
    • Needs another review. Has unaddressed updates from pkgw as of Jan 11, 2020 Pending: re-pinged pkgw for a second review.
  • cfep-12 Removing packages that violate the terms of the source package

    • Stalled since May 26, 2020
    • Active debate about moving to "broken" vs deleting from conda-forge channel
    • Active vote, ends on 2020-03-11
    • What were the results of the vote?
    • Did we hear back from NumFOCUS? they did the legal seminar which is recorded
  • cfep-17 Handling pin backports and dependency rebuilds

    • Stalled debate about implementation details between Isuru, CJ and Matt
    • UPDATE 2020-07-22: We in principle have agreement to render the extra pinnings needed directly in the feedstock on a temporary basis (i.e., until the migration has ended).
  • cfep-19 Pinning epochs

    • Stalled since July
  • cfep-20 Package split

    • No updates for ~1 month


Check in on previous action items

Copy previous action items from last meeting agenda.

This meeting


Last meeting


2 meetings ago


Move to Issue Tracker


  • (IF/MRB/MV) intel oneAPI
    • todo
      • (Nikolay) licensing for opencl_rt
      • (Nikolay) intelmpi ABI compat w/ mpich
      • (MRB/IF) figure out how exactly to package C/C++ compilers
      • (MRB/IF) think about fortran ABI
      • (MRB) make conda-forge compilers room (add people including keith)
  • (MB) asking core members to move to "emeritus" status
    • TODO: Eric to set up quarterly check-in for all core members to see if they're interested in remaining "active" or if they want to move to emeritus
      • Remove emeritus folks from having access to various credentials (api tokens, twitter password, etc.)? This would require a change to the governance doc.


  • TODO: Think about bringing in JOSS to provide context around how we might best write papers


  • TODO: Check on Forrest Watters permissions for core
  • (FF) Outreachy would cost 6500 USD.
    • Next steps: write abstract and vote on spending of funds.

2020-10-28 2020-10-21

  • (Marius?) Python 2.7 migration
    • ( ) [ ] make a hint
    • ( ) [ ] make an announcement
    • ( ) [ ] make the hint a lint


  • Make sure to add the NVBug info to the cudatoolkit package that conda-forge makes (if we make one)


2020-08-26 Docker hub

  • (JK) Check in on Azure build workers to see if they have the docker hub limitation.
  • (JK) work with dockerhub to see if we can get OSS status
    • Check in again at some point. We haven't heard back as of 2020-09-23


  • Shout-out on twitter at some point. "Thanks forOVHCloud for providing a VM", etc. (maybe after we ship qt on windows with it?)

  • Figure out how to communicate breaking changes to users. Likely should open up an issue immediately for futher discussion. Ping @kkraus, plus capture notes from further up in these meeting notes

  • John K. will update the cuda toolkit feedstock on the git repo to note the NVBug link to the internal NVIDIA issue tracker

  • Jonathan will update docs to note that some non-exhaustive list of packages (like cuda-toolkit, MKL, etc.)

  • Jonathan will review this PR

  • (Kale) schedule conda working group

  • cfep-10 next steps: CJ to call a vote for feedback

  • cfep-06 next steps: Ask staged recipes team to champion this CFEP and move it forward

  • jakirkham & CJ-wright to sync on adding CUDA to the migration bot

  • (Eric) Scheduling Anaconda <-> conda-forge sync on requirements gathering

    • Will try and get this scheduled in the next month.
  • (Anthony) Reach out to NumFocus to figure out legal ramifications of not including licenses in files.

  • (Eric) check internally for funding levels for hotels & flying folks from the community in?

  • (Eric) Figure out finances of conda-forge to support themselves?

  • (jjhelmus) Open up CFEP for which python's we're going to support

  • (jakirkham) write a blog post on CUDA stuff we discussed today

  • (jakirkham) update docs on how to add CUDA support to feedstocks

  • (jakirkham) will open an issue on conda-smithy to investigate Drone issues. (ping the aarch team)

  • (ED) Who we are page? Some combination of a FAQ and a who is everyone. FAQ things like:

    • who's the POC for CF <> Anaconda, CF <> NumFocus, CF <> Azure
    • who's the POC for the various subteams?
    • Informal information: roles, day jobs, bios, the whole nine yards, why you're here, etc.
    • Public or internal? I don't really care either way. Anyone feel strongly one way or the other?
    • opt-in to public bios
    • software carpentry has a large number of instructors and has
    • some concern about "yet another place to keep stuff up to date"
  • (ED) document strategies for reproducible environments using conda-forge

  • (UK) Static libraries stuff

    • Add linting hints to builds to find them
    • Recommend how to package them -> CFEP-18
    • We should write docs saying we don't provide support and this is a bad idea. -> CFEP-18