Skip to main content


2021-09-22 conda-forge core meeting

last weeks meeting What time is the meeting in my time zone Meeting info:

[We may want to update these for Zoom. Not sure how to do that]


  • MRB


Standing items

  • intros for new folks on the call

    • Filipe Lains
  • (CJ) budget

    • current approvals?
    • Whenever updated numbers land, please screenshare and show the budget.
      • Link is in Keybase (numfocus_spreadsheets.txt)
  • open votes

    • none

From previous meeting(s)

  • (CB) Now have a 1password account
    • Chris Burr will send invite link around to core. Existing owner needs to approve
    • Can store secrets in there.
      • Should move all 2FA in authy to keybase so we dont need to harass Isuru for his phone number
    • Migrate everything to 1password. Can still chat on Keybase.
  • (CJ) conda-forge patches for conda backwards compat (= is done, but what about ~= and others)
    • (IF) we should not break deps of conda so people can update their envs
    • todo
      • bump this at the community meeting
      • (MRB) Cheng, did we patch conda build/index to not put the newer ops in generated repodata?
        • conda-index not currently patched
        • Anaconda will work on this issue (assuming no one else does)

Your new() agenda items

  • (MRB) intel compiler agreement
    • see core email list for text
    • unclear if the agreement would impact current MKL builds if it was terminated
    • TODO: Wait for numfocus and then ship it 🚢
      • (MRB) post note on core gitter about it
  • (MRB) update on travis stuff
    • TODO: Write blog post for transparency reasons. Need a champion for this one (Matt can at end of october)
  • (JK) CUDA 11.3 & 11.4 (dropping 10.x)
    • Wanted to drop old compilers (gcc8?) and use new compilers (gcc9). Can't figure out a way to get the migrations to work. Ideally want to move to enhanced compatibility. Want to set up new CUDA packages too. Makes sense to make these two big changes together instead of two big changes separately.
    • Repodata hotfix that does ==11.2 to >=11.2,<12
      • (KK) May need to check if there's constraints on __cuda in the cudatoolkit package that would also need to be patched?
    • Also ok to add cudatoolkit packages for 11.3 & 11.4
  • (JK) Drone
  • (CB) OpenSSL 3.0.0 migration?

Pushed to next meeting

Active votes


  • cfep-12 Removing packages that violate the terms of the source package
    • Stalled since May 26, 2020
    • Active debate about moving to "broken" vs deleting from conda-forge channel
    • Active vote, ends on 2020-03-11
    • What were the results of the vote?
    • Did we hear back from NumFOCUS? they did the legal seminar which is recorded



  • (MRB) master to main move (
    • everything done except feedstocks, releases, conda-smithy, and our github actions
      • releases is broken, opened an issue with github
    • some options for feedstocks
      • make sure to change the upload on branch key
    • (MRB) make an announcement on how to update local clones (moved to the issue above)
    • (MRB) make sure to update upload_on_branch (moved to the issue above)


  • (IF/MRB/MV) intel oneAPI
    • todo
      • (Nikolay) licensing for opencl_rt
      • (Nikolay) intelmpi ABI compat w/ mpich
      • (MRB/IF) figure out how exactly to package C/C++ compilers
      • (MRB/IF) think about fortran ABI
      • (MRB) make conda-forge compilers room (add people including keith)
  • (MB) asking core members to move to "emeritus" status
    • TODO: Eric to set up quarterly check-in for all core members to see if they're interested in remaining "active" or if they want to move to emeritus
      • Remove emeritus folks from having access to various credentials (api tokens, twitter password, etc.)? This would require a change to the governance doc.


  • TODO: Think about bringing in JOSS to provide context around how we might best write papers


  • TODO: Check on Forrest Watters permissions for core
  • (FF) Outreachy would cost 6500 USD.
    • Next steps: write abstract and vote on spending of funds.

2020-10-28 2020-10-21

  • (Marius?) Python 2.7 migration
    • ( ) [ ] make a hint
    • ( ) [ ] make an announcement
    • ( ) [ ] make the hint a lint


  • Make sure to add the NVBug info to the cudatoolkit package that conda-forge makes (if we make one)


2020-08-26 Docker hub

  • (JK) Check in on Azure build workers to see if they have the docker hub limitation.
  • (JK) work with dockerhub to see if we can get OSS status
    • Check in again at some point. We haven't heard back as of 2020-09-23


  • Shout-out on twitter at some point. "Thanks forOVHCloud for providing a VM", etc. (maybe after we ship qt on windows with it?)

  • Figure out how to communicate breaking changes to users. Likely should open up an issue immediately for futher discussion. Ping @kkraus, plus capture notes from further up in these meeting notes

  • John K. will update the cuda toolkit feedstock on the git repo to note the NVBug link to the internal NVIDIA issue tracker

  • Jonathan will update docs to note that some non-exhaustive list of packages (like cuda-toolkit, MKL, etc.)

  • Jonathan will review this PR

  • (Kale) schedule conda working group

  • cfep-10 next steps: CJ to call a vote for feedback

  • cfep-06 next steps: Ask staged recipes team to champion this CFEP and move it forward

  • jakirkham & CJ-wright to sync on adding CUDA to the migration bot

  • (Eric) Scheduling Anaconda <-> conda-forge sync on requirements gathering

    • Will try and get this scheduled in the next month.
  • (Anthony) Reach out to NumFocus to figure out legal ramifications of not including licenses in files.

  • (Eric) check internally for funding levels for hotels & flying folks from the community in?

  • (Eric) Figure out finances of conda-forge to support themselves?

  • (jjhelmus) Open up CFEP for which python's we're going to support

  • (jakirkham) write a blog post on CUDA stuff we discussed today

  • (jakirkham) update docs on how to add CUDA support to feedstocks

  • (jakirkham) will open an issue on conda-smithy to investigate Drone issues. (ping the aarch team)

  • (ED) Who we are page? Some combination of a FAQ and a who is everyone. FAQ things like:

    • who's the POC for CF <> Anaconda, CF <> NumFocus, CF <> Azure
    • who's the POC for the various subteams?
    • Informal information: roles, day jobs, bios, the whole nine yards, why you're here, etc.
    • Public or internal? I don't really care either way. Anyone feel strongly one way or the other?
    • opt-in to public bios
    • software carpentry has a large number of instructors and has
    • some concern about "yet another place to keep stuff up to date"
  • (ED) document strategies for reproducible environments using conda-forge

  • (UK) Static libraries stuff

    • Add linting hints to builds to find them
    • Recommend how to package them -> CFEP-18
    • We should write docs saying we don't provide support and this is a bad idea. -> CFEP-18