Skip to main content

conda-forge core meeting 2022-01-12

last weeks meeting What time is the meeting in my time zone Meeting info:


  • Matti Picus (MP)
  • Isuru Fernando
  • CJ Wright
  • Jaime Rodriguez
  • Chris Burr
  • Daniel Ching
  • Dave Clements
  • Edgar Margffoy
  • Eric Dill
  • Lori Burns
  • John Kirkham
  • Matthew Becker
  • Cheng Lee
  • Ken Odegard
  • Wolf Vollprecht
  • Jannis Leidel


Standing items

  • intros for new folks on the call

    • Daniel Ching - Argonne, wanting to be part of staged-recipes team
    • Dave Clements -
      • just started at Anaconda (3.5 weeks ago)
      • OSS community manager
      • came from galaxy (has been involved in bioconda) where he was doing similar work
      • part of his job is to make sure the OSS parts of the conda ecosystem dont get lost in the shuffle within Anaconda
    • Edgar Margffoy - works at Quansight
      • working on qt compilation
    • Ken Odegard
      • joined Anaconda team last fall
      • on conda team (works with triaging, tracking bugs, making progress)
  • (FF) budget

    • current approvals?
    • Whenever updated numbers land, please screenshare and show the budget.
      • Link is in Keybase (numfocus_spreadsheets.txt)
  • open votes

    • none
  • 2022 Outreachy / GSoC

    • Ask each week: Any interested parties in owning this?
    • Discussion 2021-11-03
      • If we want to do outreachy again we need a champion - Filipe can't do it next year. Same with GSoC.
      • GSoC is free to us
      • Outreachy costs us $$ ($6500). $6k for student, $500 for admin
      • Some interest from Jannis - he and Filipe will chat about possibly handing off
        • Trying to figure out what policy for interns at Anaconda - some overlap maybe. Jannis wants to pick Filipe's brain. Dave C. has also done this in the past at galaxy

From previous meeting(s)

Your new() agenda items

  • (JRG/EM) Report qt status and potential blocks.

    • split the recipe into a bunch of components. have qt-main that has all the modules
    • builds time out after 6 hours - how to review and move forward with this?
      • MRB - post build logs so people can page through it and approve the merge.
    • How to compile aarch64 for all of this - qt work is being financed on quansight side by TDK
      • TDK would be willing to fund a machine to compile aarch64
      • MRB - do we have the server from oracle?
      • IF - Edgar, send Isuru your public ssh key and he'll add you to access that aarch64 box
  • JRG - meeting tomorrow on GPU stuff internally at Quansight. Will update team after

  • (MRB) What is going on w/ Julia?

    • IF - just trying to figure out how to do Julia packages - we were lagging behind for the past couple of years. they have binary depenedency packages - we'd like julia to use the ones in our conda environments instead of theirs. some binary dependencies depend on julia's dependencies.
  • (UK) Removing std=c++14 from clang activation

  • (IF) skip: True recipes in staged-recipes

  • Let Maxiconda know that we can't use their logo

  • (IF) m1 mac

    • Jaime - will check internally to see if there are m1 macs available
    • CBurr - will check with macstadium and see if they can add an m1 mac or swap the intel mac for m1 mac
  • (MP) PyPy3.8

    • Hold off for another 2-3 weeks until 7.3.8
  • (IF) New staged-recipes reviewers

    • Daniel Ching (carterbox)
    • (JK) Benjamin Bertrand (beenje) [happy to move this if needed]
    • Kolen Cheung (ickc)
    • (MRB) Bastian Zimmermann (@BastianZim)
  • (JL) libmamba solver work update

Pushed to next meeting


Active votes


  • cfep-12 Removing packages that violate the terms of the source package
    • Stalled since May 26, 2020
    • Active debate about moving to "broken" vs deleting from conda-forge channel
    • Active vote, ends on 2020-03-11
    • What were the results of the vote?
    • Did we hear back from NumFOCUS? they did the legal seminar which is recorded



  • WV: Set up meet-and-greet call with homebrew team?
  • MRB: (repodata patches) make a cron job that runs and posts an issue + commit if it is non-empty


  • Self-hosting CI TODOs:
    • Change URL from Proposals:
    • Set up monitoring
      • Quantstack is setting up grafana for the mirror



  • (WV): TensorFlow-GPU ready to go, just need to decide if GPU should get prio over CPU?!

    • GPU gets prio
  • (MRB) master to main move (

    • everything done except feedstocks, releases, conda-smithy, and our github actions
      • releases is broken, opened an issue with github
    • some options for feedstocks
      • make sure to change the upload on branch key
    • (MRB) make an announcement on how to update local clones (moved to the issue above)
    • (MRB) make sure to update upload_on_branch (moved to the issue above)


  • (IF/MRB/MV) intel oneAPI
    • todo
      • (Nikolay) licensing for opencl_rt
      • (Nikolay) intelmpi ABI compat w/ mpich
      • (MRB/IF) figure out how exactly to package C/C++ compilers
      • (MRB/IF) think about fortran ABI
      • (MRB) make conda-forge compilers room (add people including keith)
  • (MB) asking core members to move to "emeritus" status
    • TODO: Eric to set up quarterly check-in for all core members to see if they're interested in remaining "active" or if they want to move to emeritus
      • Remove emeritus folks from having access to various credentials (api tokens, twitter password, etc.)? This would require a change to the governance doc.


  • TODO: Think about bringing in JOSS to provide context around how we might best write papers


  • TODO: Check on Forrest Watters permissions for core
  • (FF) Outreachy would cost 6500 USD.
    • Next steps: write abstract and vote on spending of funds.

2020-10-28 2020-10-21

  • (Marius?) Python 2.7 migration
    • ( ) [ ] make a hint
    • ( ) [ ] make an announcement
    • ( ) [ ] make the hint a lint


  • Make sure to add the NVBug info to the cudatoolkit package that conda-forge makes (if we make one)


2020-08-26 Docker hub

  • (JK) Check in on Azure build workers to see if they have the docker hub limitation.
  • (JK) work with dockerhub to see if we can get OSS status
    • Check in again at some point. We haven't heard back as of 2020-09-23


  • Shout-out on twitter at some point. "Thanks forOVHCloud for providing a VM", etc. (maybe after we ship qt on windows with it?)

  • Figure out how to communicate breaking changes to users. Likely should open up an issue immediately for futher discussion. Ping @kkraus, plus capture notes from further up in these meeting notes

  • John K. will update the cuda toolkit feedstock on the git repo to note the NVBug link to the internal NVIDIA issue tracker

  • Jonathan will update docs to note that some non-exhaustive list of packages (like cuda-toolkit, MKL, etc.)

  • Jonathan will review this PR

  • (Kale) schedule conda working group

  • cfep-10 next steps: CJ to call a vote for feedback

  • cfep-06 next steps: Ask staged recipes team to champion this CFEP and move it forward

  • jakirkham & CJ-wright to sync on adding CUDA to the migration bot

  • (Eric) Scheduling Anaconda <-> conda-forge sync on requirements gathering

    • Will try and get this scheduled in the next month.
  • (Anthony) Reach out to NumFocus to figure out legal ramifications of not including licenses in files.

  • (Eric) check internally for funding levels for hotels & flying folks from the community in?

  • (Eric) Figure out finances of conda-forge to support themselves?

  • (jjhelmus) Open up CFEP for which python's we're going to support

  • (jakirkham) write a blog post on CUDA stuff we discussed today

  • (jakirkham) update docs on how to add CUDA support to feedstocks

  • (jakirkham) will open an issue on conda-smithy to investigate Drone issues. (ping the aarch team)

  • (ED) Who we are page? Some combination of a FAQ and a who is everyone. FAQ things like:

    • who's the POC for CF <> Anaconda, CF <> NumFocus, CF <> Azure
    • who's the POC for the various subteams?
    • Informal information: roles, day jobs, bios, the whole nine yards, why you're here, etc.
    • Public or internal? I don't really care either way. Anyone feel strongly one way or the other?
    • opt-in to public bios
    • software carpentry has a large number of instructors and has
    • some concern about "yet another place to keep stuff up to date"
  • (ED) document strategies for reproducible environments using conda-forge

  • (UK) Static libraries stuff

    • Add linting hints to builds to find them
    • Recommend how to package them -> CFEP-18
    • We should write docs saying we don't provide support and this is a bad idea. -> CFEP-18