Skip to main content


2021-03-10 conda-forge core meeting

Zoom link What time is the meeting in my time zone last weeks meeting


Sylvain Corlay Matt B. Cheng H. Lee Filipe Fernandes John Kirkham Crystal Soja Marcel Bargull Ray Douglass Marcelo Trevisani Eric Dill Chris Burr Axel Wolf Isuru Stephanie Daniel Bast


Standing items

  • intros for new folks on the call

    • Axel. Working in Zurich for a small consulting company
  • (CJ) budget

    • current approvals?
      • None pending (as of 2021/2/10, CJ)
    • Whenever updated numbers land, please screenshare and show the budget.
      • Link is in Keybase (numfocus_spreadsheets.txt)
      • Jan 2021 P&L not posted yet (as of 2021/2/10, CJ)
  • open votes

    • gov vote (link?)
    • two core (Vini and Ryan)

From previous meeting(s)

Your new() agenda items

  • (???) Email threads
    • gpu and long builds
      • subject: "Follow up with Server Info for GPUs"
        • NVIDIA has arranged donation of GPUs to quansight. They have 6 V100s that can be donated to quansight. Can provide specs on servers that are used to run those GPUs. Can't donate a server unfortunately. Can donate 2 AGX-Xavier arm-based GPUs.
        • Quansight has offered to cover the cost of setup and procuring a server
        • Need to figure out the CI
      • subject: "Outside spoonsoring for hosted CI pool w/ GPUs for conda-forge?"
        • offer of $500/mo for a year
        • ideally unified thing with multiple companies participating to support
      • (Sylvain) We could put an azure worker on an OVH v100 as well
      • We have 40-50 gpu packages
      • may need to figure out how to build on CPU and test on the GPU since locking the GPU during build is expensive and unneeded.
      • Vini being hired by Quansight, may be able to work on the CI implementation
  • subject: "Intel compiler package - license agreement with conda-forge"
    • Intel is also looking at defaults as an interim place to put it since there's an existing agreement with Anaconda
  • (CB) Should we cross-compile ppc64le by default? Maybe only for apple silicon enabled feedstocks?
  • (MRB) long-term planning writeup has started:
    • feel free to contribute, or not, up to you!
  • (WV) micromamba 0.8.0 is out (changelog:
  • (CB) What's the status of arch spec

Pushed to next meeting

Active votes

Subteam updates









CI infrastructure

Compiler upgrade

CFEP updates

Open PRs

  • cfep-04 X11 and CDT policy

    • INACTIVE - Merge in with some inactive-esque status?
    • Needs new champion. Thanks for your work on this pkgw! Has unaddressed comments from pkgw as from Jan 10, 2020 Solved: Let's defer and keep the "mixed model" we have now.
  • cfep-06 Staged-recipes review lifecycle

    • INACTIVE - Merge in with some inactive-esque status?
    • Lingering comment from @saraedum. @jakirkham, can you reply? Has unadressed comment from @saraedum from Jan 8, 2020
    • (MRB) The stalebot has solved the worst of the issues here. I think we could defer this one permanently. Solved: defer in favor of the stale bot for now.
  • cfep-15 Feedstock statuses, unmaintained

    • INACTIVE - Merge in with some inactive-esque status?
    • Needs another review. Has unaddressed updates from pkgw as of Jan 11, 2020 Pending: re-pinged pkgw for a second review.
  • cfep-12 Removing packages that violate the terms of the source package

    • Stalled since May 26, 2020
    • Active debate about moving to "broken" vs deleting from conda-forge channel
    • Active vote, ends on 2020-03-11
    • What were the results of the vote?
    • Did we hear back from NumFOCUS? they did the legal seminar which is recorded
  • cfep-17 Handling pin backports and dependency rebuilds

    • Stalled debate about implementation details between Isuru, CJ and Matt
    • UPDATE 2020-07-22: We in principle have agreement to render the extra pinnings needed directly in the feedstock on a temporary basis (i.e., until the migration has ended).
  • cfep-19 Pinning epochs

    • Stalled since July
  • cfep-20 Package split

    • No updates for ~1 month


Check in on previous action items

Copy previous action items from last meeting agenda.

This meeting


  • (FF) Votes for Ryan May and Vinícius
    • TODO (MRB) [ ] do these votes

Last meeting


2 meetings ago


Move to Issue Tracker

2021-01-06 2020-11-18

  • (IF/MRB/MV) intel oneAPI
    • todo
      • (Nikolay) licensing for opencl_rt
      • (Nikolay) intelmpi ABI compat w/ mpich
      • (MRB/IF) figure out how exactly to package C/C++ compilers
      • (MRB/IF) think about fortran ABI
      • (MRB) make conda-forge compilers room (add people including keith)
  • (MB) asking core members to move to "emeritus" status
    • TODO: Eric to set up quarterly check-in for all core members to see if they're interested in remaining "active" or if they want to move to emeritus
      • Remove emeritus folks from having access to various credentials (api tokens, twitter password, etc.)? This would require a change to the governance doc.


  • TODO: Think about bringing in JOSS to provide context around how we might best write papers


  • TODO: Check on Forrest Watters permissions for core
  • (FF) Outreachy would cost 6500 USD.
    • Next steps: write abstract and vote on spending of funds.

2020-10-28 2020-10-21

  • (Marius?) Python 2.7 migration
    • ( ) [ ] make a hint
    • ( ) [ ] make an announcement
    • ( ) [ ] make the hint a lint


  • Make sure to add the NVBug info to the cudatoolkit package that conda-forge makes (if we make one)


2020-08-26 Docker hub

  • (JK) Check in on Azure build workers to see if they have the docker hub limitation.
  • (JK) work with dockerhub to see if we can get OSS status
    • Check in again at some point. We haven't heard back as of 2020-09-23


  • Shout-out on twitter at some point. "Thanks forOVHCloud for providing a VM", etc. (maybe after we ship qt on windows with it?)

  • Figure out how to communicate breaking changes to users. Likely should open up an issue immediately for futher discussion. Ping @kkraus, plus capture notes from further up in these meeting notes

  • John K. will update the cuda toolkit feedstock on the git repo to note the NVBug link to the internal NVIDIA issue tracker

  • Jonathan will update docs to note that some non-exhaustive list of packages (like cuda-toolkit, MKL, etc.)

  • Jonathan will review this PR

  • (Kale) schedule conda working group

  • cfep-10 next steps: CJ to call a vote for feedback

  • cfep-06 next steps: Ask staged recipes team to champion this CFEP and move it forward

  • jakirkham & CJ-wright to sync on adding CUDA to the migration bot

  • (Eric) Scheduling Anaconda <-> conda-forge sync on requirements gathering

    • Will try and get this scheduled in the next month.
  • (Anthony) Reach out to NumFocus to figure out legal ramifications of not including licenses in files.

  • (Eric) check internally for funding levels for hotels & flying folks from the community in?

  • (Eric) Figure out finances of conda-forge to support themselves?

  • (jjhelmus) Open up CFEP for which python's we're going to support

  • (jakirkham) write a blog post on CUDA stuff we discussed today

  • (jakirkham) update docs on how to add CUDA support to feedstocks

  • (jakirkham) will open an issue on conda-smithy to investigate Drone issues. (ping the aarch team)

  • (ED) Who we are page? Some combination of a FAQ and a who is everyone. FAQ things like:

    • who's the POC for CF <> Anaconda, CF <> NumFocus, CF <> Azure
    • who's the POC for the various subteams?
    • Informal information: roles, day jobs, bios, the whole nine yards, why you're here, etc.
    • Public or internal? I don't really care either way. Anyone feel strongly one way or the other?
    • opt-in to public bios
    • software carpentry has a large number of instructors and has
    • some concern about "yet another place to keep stuff up to date"
  • (ED) document strategies for reproducible environments using conda-forge

  • (UK) Static libraries stuff

    • Add linting hints to builds to find them
    • Recommend how to package them -> CFEP-18
    • We should write docs saying we don't provide support and this is a bad idea. -> CFEP-18