Skip to main content

2019-11-12 conda-forge core meeting

Attendees

Agenda

Your agenda items

• Qt update strategies. Marius said he was going to talk with Microsoft at the Numfocus summit / Pydata NYC. We agreed that we'd get updates from Marius at this dev meeting.

• Context: We should be building Qt more regularly. How do we achieve this? Provisioning Windows Azure VMs seems like the best path forward.
      • We'd need to make an Azure org (or whatever their term is) and then distribute credentials
      • We should consider talking to Microsoft about help doing this on Azure.
      • Marius will run point on these conversations this week at NumFocus Summit and PyData.
      • Get updates from Marius at next dev meeting.
  • (John/Eric) Aligning on GPU packages between CF and defaults

• (Eric) Currently working internally and then with Josh to align on funding half time developer on distribution team for the rapids GPU needs.
  • Reach out to NumFocus to figure out legal ramifications of not including licenses in files.

• Advertise AMD GPU support.

• AMD GPU runtime is in conda-forge now. Only need a recent Linux kernel in the user machine (And a supported AMD GPU of course)
    • write a note to NumFOCUS newsletter
  • Should conda-forge be ping-ing maintainers for projects who's packages are being added to staged recipes?

• eg. torchvision issue
    • Find the right wording to ping people without "bothering" them too much.
    • Invite to feedstock rather than in staged-recipes
    • What if maintainer says no, or asks to take the package down?

This is an email I got when one of my (Jonathan's) packages was added to Fedora. The author might have contacts me only about the issues.

Greetings from a fellow NMR spectroscopist. In my role as a Fedora packager, I have built nmrglue for Fedora and Centos (or RHEL, Scientific linux, etc,). Users of these distributions can now install nmrglue using their respective package management tools.

I am writing to you to bring up two "issues". ...

• Getting more contributors to conda-forge:

• Should we do outchreachy with part of our funds? (GSoC but with our own funds. Higher contributor "conversion" rate than GSoC.)
    • Send stickers/t-shirts to reviewers on staged-recipes.
  • Vote for Staged reciepes reminder!

• Python 3.8 migration

Subteam updates

Bot

ARM

POWER

• Have access to a ppc64le machine for conda-forge through OSU OSL.

• conda-forge is now self-hosting. Drop defaults?

Docs

staged-recipes

website

CI infrastructure

Compiler upgrade

CFEP updates

How do we start getting traction on these?

cfep-03 Manual upload of builds

cfep-04 X11 and CDT policy

* proposal is not long being worked on
* could be solved by virtual packages

cfep-05 dev/rc builds

* 2 Nays, needs voting

cfep-06 Staged-recipes review lifecycle

* Is this necessary now that pinging staged-recipes works

cfep-08 Too Big To Fail

cfep-10 Feedstock statuses, unmaintained

Discussion

Check in on previous action items

Copy previous action items from last meeting agenda.

Last meeting

• (Eric) regarding cfep-05, We should implement this in whatever way is as simple as possible for the conda-forge tooling ecosystem. If there is enough of sentiment that people want something more sophisticated, PRs welcome. Make this comment on cfep05

2 meetings ago

• (Filipe) CFEP-03: Review, fix any text and merge it in.
    • Minor updates that are needed. This will likely get done in December.
  • (CJ) CFEP-08: Merge in with deferred status
    • Will check in next meeting.

3 meetings ago

4 meetings ago

• (Eric) Email out to see if we can get more engagement on regular dev meetings.
  • (Sophia) Set up meeting to talk about Condafile stuff.
    • Will punt on this until she's working on this actively again
  • (Filipe) Ping Bjorn to try and get Debian community more involved with conda-forge
    • Going to drop this from our tracker
  • (Eric) Scheduling Anaconda <-> conda-forge sync on anaconda.org requirements gathering
    • Will try and get this scheduled in the next month.
  • (Anthony) Reach out to NumFocus to figure out legal ramifications of not including licenses in files.